An exciting world awaits sewists and quilters...at The Sewing Basket!
Fabric, Fabric, Fabric:
Many people do not realize that major fabric companies design and manufacture the top line of their fabric for “Independent Quilt Shops Only”. The majority of the fabric is 100% cotton, made of the highest quality base goods, with intense color, and multiple layer design elements. This fabric is fantastic for use in clothing, home decor and other projects. Additionally, it has a great hand, washes beautifully and tends to be very wrinkle resistant.
Hands on classes on a variety of new techniques:
- Skilled staff members to help with design ideas, color choice and technical questions
- Free motion quilting for use on clothing and home decor items
- Fabric collage and fiber embellishments
- Thread techniques including multiple top stitching, sashiko, echo quilting and thread painting
- Hands on demonstrations of products
Different and interesting notions and products:
- Rotary cutters and rulers for cutting multiple layers fast
- Quarter inch seam allowances and the 1/4” foot, the free motion foot and the walking foot
- Bias tape makers for edging and embellishment
- Double fold bindings to finish edges
- Hand applique techniques; ruched flowers, skinny stems, rick rack roses
- Machine applique and free motion stitching for design enhancements
- Many tools and patterns for fabric marking, color selection and design
- A variety of spray baste and fusible products to create unique projects
Shop Hopping, road tripping and fun!
We do a thing called “shop hopping”. A group of stores will pick a weekend and offer prizes, patterns, discounts and fun to shoppers who visit all participating shops during the “hop”. Since many quilt shops are in small towns that have interesting restaurants, coffee shops, vintage and resale shops they make a great day trip destination.
Over the past few years sewing enthusiasts have watched the number of fabric stores decrease, along with the quality and variety of fabric choices and class opportunities. But all of these things are still available at your local independent fabric and quilting shops.
To broaden your horizons, jump start your creativity and add new techniques to your sewing skill set, take a trip to The Sewing Basket!